The Crime Scene Investigator is responsible for identifying, documenting, collecting, preserving and interpreting evidence from complex and high-profile crime scenes, typically in conjunction with an ongoing police investigation. The qualified applicant must have the ability to work any shift as the crime scene unit is a 24X7 operation with rotating days off. Crime Scene Investigators may be subject to on-call during off shift hours when necessary. The HFSC President & CEO can declare a state of emergency in the event of a natural disaster or a major unexpected event. Crime Scene Investigators are essential personnel and will be activated to go into a modified schedule to fill the operational needs of the company during emergency events.
Principal responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Process complex crime scenes, including the identification, documentation, collection, preservation, and submission of evidence and produce detailed offence reports.
- Process for latent prints
- Process for touch DNA and other biological fluids
- Photograph and videotape major crime scenes.
- Produce detailed crime scene diagrams.
- Complete specialized classroom and on-the-job training as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.