Experience and Skills:
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
A bachelor’s degree in a related physical
science, criminal justice, or forensic science is required. Relevant
experience as a crime scene investigator may be considered in lieu of
a degree. A current IAI (International Association for Identification)
Certification as a crime scene investigator or analyst is strongly
preferred; the successful applicant must be able to achieve
certification within one year of hire. Certification must be
maintained throughout employment with Houston Forensic Science Center.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A minimum of two years of direct experience performing the
duties of a crime scene investigator is required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the demonstrated ability to
interact effectively with citizens or family members who are
experiencing traumatic events such as a horrific crime.
- Ability to work unsupervised or in a small group after the
completion of appropriate training, completing complex tasks and
procedures with minimal or no guidance.
- Ability to stand and walk around for extended periods of time.
- Ability to complete tasks regardless of the weather or temperature.
- Ability to complete tasks regardless of foul odors or insect activity.
- Ability to lift and carry, push or pull up to 150 lbs.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Possession or ability to obtain a Texas driver’s license.
- Ability to operate a large vehicle loaded with Crime Scene Unit
equipment and tools.
- Proven expertise in Microsoft Office applications, specifically
Word, Excel, and Outlook, is required. Working knowledge of a
Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and Microsoft Access
- Ability to meet the physical requirements with or without accommodations.
- Willingness to work extended hours with little or no advanced notice.