Experience and Skills:
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
A bachelor’s degree in a related physical science, criminal justice, or forensic science is required. Relevant experience as a crime scene investigator may be considered in lieu of a degree. A current IAI (International Association for Identification) Certification as a crime scene investigator or analyst is strongly preferred; the successful applicant must be able to achieve certification within one year of hire. Certification must be maintained throughout employment with Houston Forensic Science Center.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A minimum of two years of direct experience performing the duties of a crime scene investigator is required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the demonstrated ability to interact effectively with citizens or family members who are experiencing traumatic events such as a horrific crime.
- Ability to work unsupervised or in a small group after the completion of appropriate training, completing complex tasks and procedures with minimal or no guidance.
- Ability to stand and walk around for extended periods of time.
- Ability to complete tasks regardless of the weather or temperature.
- Ability to complete tasks regardless of foul odors or insect activity.
- Ability to lift and carry, push or pull up to 150 lbs.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Possession or ability to obtain a Texas driver’s license.
- Ability to operate a large vehicle loaded with Crime Scene Unit equipment and tools.
- Proven expertise in Microsoft Office applications, specifically Word, Excel, and Outlook, is required. Working knowledge of a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and Microsoft Access is preferred.
- Ability to meet the physical requirements with or without accommodations.
- Willingness to work extended hours with little or no advanced notice.