Experience and Skills:
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIREMENT
A bachelor’s degree in a related field of science is required; experience may be considered in lieu of the degree. Active IAI Certification as a crime scene investigator or analyst is strongly preferred; the successful applicant must be able to achieve certification within one year of hire. Certification must be maintained throughout employment with Houston Forensic Science Center.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT
A minimum of two years of experience in the role of crime scene investigator is REQUIRED.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENT
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the demonstrated ability to interact effectively with citizens or family members who are experiencing traumatic events such as a horrific crime
- Ability to work unsupervised or in a small group after the completion of appropriate training, completing complex tasks and procedures with minimal or no guidance
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Possession or ability to obtain a Texas driver’s license to operate a vehicle loaded with Crime Scene Unit equipment and tools
- Proven expertise in Microsoft Office applications, specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, and Microsoft’s cloud-based service, SharePoint, is required. Working knowledge of a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and Microsoft Access is a plus.
- Willingness to work extended hours with little or no advance notice.
- Ability to meet the following physical requirements with or without accommodations:
- Ability to stand and walk around for extended periods of time
- Ability to complete tasks regardless of the weather or temperature
- Ability to complete tasks regardless of foul odors or insect activity
- Ability to lift and carry, push or pull up to 150 lbs.